An elderly Portland man was critically injured in a fire at his home Friday night.

The State Fire Marshal's office says 80-year-old Myron H. McLaughlin was critically burned when his clothes caught fire inside his apartment at Franklin Towers. He was taken to Maine Medical Center where he's being treated for burns to 60 percent of his body.

Portland firefighters responded to the towers at around 7:30 p.m. after a smoke alarm went off. Fire Marshal investigators say it appears McLaughlin caught his fleece pajamas on fire as a result of smoking while sitting in a living room chair. There was no damage to the apartment.