Fatal Fire Claims Husband and Wife
A house fire claimed the lives of a couple in their late 60's on Saturday. The cause is being blamed on smoking around oxygen tanks.
The State Fire Marshal's office says fire swept through the couple's Old Town home this morning. The victims are 67-year-old Joseph Prekop and his 68-year-old wife, Adrienne Raff-Prekop. Officials say Joseph was one of the people who called 911 at about 11:30, but he was apparently overcome by smoke before he could escape. His body was found in the bedroom while hers was discovered in the living room.
The one-story home at 141 South Gate Road was heavily damaged by fire and smoke. Investigators say the fire started from smoking while the woman was on oxygen.