Fournier Named High School Athlete of the Week [WEEK 5]
We'd like to congratulate Derek Fournier of Bangor High School for being voted McDonald's High School Athlete of the Week!
The Rams' goaltender earned two wins in goal for the Bangor hockey team last week including a come from behind win over Lawrence-Skowhegan and a 4-1 win over Cheverus. The sophomore goalie made 54 saves in the two games with 25 coming against Lawrence-Skowhegan and another 29 against Cheverus. This season Fournier has a .906 save percentage and a 1.37 goals against average.
Fournier bested another great high school athlete in the vote. Brooks Law of Foxcroft Academy won two more wrestling matches over the weekend in the Foxcroft Ponies tournament which improves his record to 25-3 on the season and the teams record to 11-0, good enough for first place in the class B heal point standings. Law now has 173 career wins which is a school record.
Here are the final results:
You also may nominate someone for next week's McDonald's Athlete of the Week. Just follow the link below. Please get your nominations in before noon on Monday, Jan. 19.
Here are our winners so far this season:
- Week 4: Sierra Tapley, MDI High School
- Week 3: Eric Hoogterp, Old Town High School
- Week 2: Kelsey Shaw, MDI High School
- Week 1: Kyle Bouchard, Houlton High School
Fall sports season:
- Week 11: Jonathan Santiago, Maine Central Institute
- Week 10: MacKenzie Carter, Ashland Community High School
- Week 9: Jackson Leonard, John Bapst Memorial High School
- Week 8: Alex Speed, Piscataquis Community High School
- Week 7: Alex Bertrand, Maine Central Institute
- Week 6: Cody Blair, Ashland Community High School
- Week 5: Noah Kershner, Nokomis High School
- Week 4: Katie Batron, Dexter High School
- Week 3: Gretchen Wright, Brewer High School
- Week 2: Jake Drew, Houlton High School
- Week 1: Dane Johnson, Bangor High School