Officials Say There Were No Smoke Detectors at Fatal Fire
Fire officials say there were no smoke detectors at the scene of this morning's fatal fire in Kennebunk. One man was killed and another seriously injured.
Fire Marshal's identified the deceased man as 25-year-old Kyle Szlosek of Glen Burnie, Maryland. Szlosek's 62-year-old father, Paul Szlosek is being treated at Maine Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Another son, 31-year-old Jonathan Cressey of Suffolk, Virginia was able to escape the fire by climbing onto a porch roof from the second floor. Once on the ground, he then helped his father escape through a first floor bedroom window.
The body of the younger brother was found by firefighters on the second floor. It was determined that he died of smoke inhalation.The two sons were in Maine visiting their mother who is in the hospital.
Fire investigators say the fire started in the first floor living room, either from smoking or a malfunctioning computer. Investigators say smoke detectors would likely have given the family enough time to safely escape the burning house. This is the eighth fire death in Maine this year.