We'd like to congratulate Hampden Academy's Nick Gilpin for being selected by our voters as this week's McDonald's High School Athlete of the Week!
Gilpin led the Broncos to three wins on the week including a 26-point performance against No. 2 Edward Little. In that game, the junior point guard went 12-12 from the foul line in the fourth quarter to help seal the win. His Broncos have won 12 straight games.
Gilpin received about 68 percent of the vote after a surge late in the week to top another of Eastern Maine's best high school basketball players in Hannah Graham of the Presque Isle Wildcats. Last week, Graham scored her 1,000th career point and currently leads the Big East in assists per game, is second in points per game and second in 3-point shooting percentage.
Here are the final results:
You also may nominate someone for next week's McDonald's Athlete of the Week. Just follow the link below. Please get your nominations in before noon on Monday, Jan. 26.
Here are our winners so far this season:
Fall sports season:
- Week 11: Jonathan Santiago, Maine Central Institute
- Week 10: MacKenzie Carter, Ashland Community High School
- Week 9: Jackson Leonard, John Bapst Memorial High School
- Week 8: Alex Speed, Piscataquis Community High School
- Week 7: Alex Bertrand, Maine Central Institute
- Week 6: Cody Blair, Ashland Community High School
- Week 5: Noah Kershner, Nokomis High School
- Week 4: Katie Batron, Dexter High School
- Week 3: Gretchen Wright, Brewer High School
- Week 2: Jake Drew, Houlton High School
- Week 1: Dane Johnson, Bangor High School