Portland Man Dies From Injuries Sustained in Fire
An elderly Portland man who was critically injured after accidentally setting his clothing on fire has died.
Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says 80-year-old Myron H. McLaughlin died of his injuries at the hospital on Sunday. He was being treated at Maine Medical Center for burns to 60 percent of his body.
The State Fire Marshal's Office says McLaughlin was sitting in a living room chair, smoking on Friday evening when the smoke alarm went off at around 7:30. Firefighters responded and determined that the man had accidentally caught his fleece pajamas on fire. There was no damage to the Franklin Towers apartment.