PCHS’s Speed Becomes First Two-Sport McDonald’s High School Athlete of the Week [WEEK 7]
We'd like to congratulate Piscataquis Community High School's Alex Speed for being selected as our first-ever two-sport McDonald's High School Athlete of the Week!
Speed, a senior, last week led the Pirates from Guilford to a school record 13 wins and the current #1 seed in Class C. Speed scored 20 points in the record breaking win Friday night against Stearns. For the season, she is averaging 13ppg, 5apg and 4spg. She won a McDonald’s Athlete of the Week award in the fall as an outstanding soccer player for PCHS.
It was the closest vote to date, as Speed edged out Tyler Beaton of Hemron High School. Last week, Beaton helped the Hawks to a pair of wins including a five point win over previously unbeaten Old Town. In two games he scored 50 points to go along with 8 rebounds and 5 assists. He was also solid at the foul line making 17 of 21 attempts including 7 of 8 in the final two minutes to seal the win against Old Town. The Hawks are 10-3 on the season with Beaton averaging 12ppg.
You can see the results below.
You also may nominate someone for next week's McDonald's Athlete of the Week. Just follow the link below. Please get your nominations in before noon on Monday, Feb. 2.
Here are our winners so far this season:
- Week 6: Nick Gilpin, Hampden Academy
- Week 5: Derek Fournier, Bangor High School
- Week 4: Sierra Tapley, MDI High School
- Week 3: Eric Hoogterp, Old Town High School
- Week 2: Kelsey Shaw, MDI High School
- Week 1: Kyle Bouchard, Houlton High School
Fall sports season:
- Week 11: Jonathan Santiago, Maine Central Institute
- Week 10: MacKenzie Carter, Ashland Community High School
- Week 9: Jackson Leonard, John Bapst Memorial High School
- Week 8: Alex Speed, Piscataquis Community High School
- Week 7: Alex Bertrand, Maine Central Institute
- Week 6: Cody Blair, Ashland Community High School
- Week 5: Noah Kershner, Nokomis High School
- Week 4: Katie Batron, Dexter High School
- Week 3: Gretchen Wright, Brewer High School
- Week 2: Jake Drew, Houlton High School
- Week 1: Dane Johnson, Bangor High School