Maine and Rhode Island meet on the football field for the 92nd time Saturday afternoon at Alfond Stadium. This time a Black Bear win means a first ever CAA conference title and a 10 win season.
The Bears are 9-1 overall and 6-0 in the CAA. The Rhody Rams are 3-8 and 2-5. Kickoff is 12:30PM.
Check out some of the numbers for UMaine...
- The Bears have already set school history with a 9-1 start. Now they are trying to be the only team in CAA history to go unbeaten in conference play during a season. Maine needs to best URI and then win at UNH next week.
- Maine is undefeated at home. The last time the Bears started 5-0 at home was 2001.
- The Black Bears are riding an 11-game winning streak against FCS opponents. (The only loss this season is to FBS Northwestern)
- With 4,857 career passing yards Marcus Wasilewski is on pace to become the 7th Maine QB to surpass 5,000 yards in a career.
- Maine is 54-24-3 against Rhode Island.
The Husson Eagles played their final game of the season Saturday - a home game versus Mt. Ida from Massachusetts. The Eagles come into the game at 5-4 overall and 4-2 in the ECFC.
Husson's 28-23 loss at Norwich last week took away any chance the Eagles had for post-season games. But the 4 conference wins entering the game is already a school record. A win over the Mustangs would give the Eagles 6 wins, second most in school history. Kickoff is 12PM.
Maine Maritime Academy plays its final game of the season in Castine Saturday at Noon. The Mariners face Curry College. MMA is 1-7 overall and 1-5 in NEFC play.
Billy Wetherbee(John Bapst HS, Sr.) has rushed for 1,037 yards this season, giving him 2,201 career rushing yards, the 10th MMA player to have 2,000 yards in a career.