Woman Critically Injured In Apartment House Fire
A woman was critically injured in an apartment house fire late Friday night. Officials say the fire started in the kitchen on the first floor of the two-unit building. Two other people were treated for smoke inhalation.
The State Fire Marshal's office says the cause of the fire in the apartment house on Pierce Street in Westbrook was a cooking fire that got out of control. The owner is Memana Abraham, 16 Boothbay Avenue, South Portland. They say smoke alarms did go off on the second floor but, at last report, they were trying to determine if the first floor alarms went off.
Taken to the hospital in critical condition was Madelena DDu Kassa, age 51. She's been taken to a Boston Hospital by Life Flight for burns. Her husband, James Kassa, was not injured.
Treated for smoke inhalation and released from the hospital were Shymma Abdaullah, Abdullah Abdaullah, and Alak Abdaullah. Also in the home, but uninjured in the fire were Cliff and Emmanuel Kassa, the couple's two sons. Several other members of the Abdaullah family were also not injured in the blaze.