Two Structure Fires In the Past Week Started By Children
Two structure fires in the past week were started by children. A house fire is considered accidental while the child responsible for the apartment house blaze has been referred to a program for youths prone to starting fires.
Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said in a press release that the fire that destroyed an apartment house fire in Auburn was started by a child playing with a lighter on a bed. The six year old started the fire in his fourth floor apartment and then ran to another room to tell his mother.
The fire left the building on Fourth Street with heavy fire, smoke, and water damage and left 43 people homeless. The child has been referred to a juvenile fire-setter prevention program.
In Whitefield, WABI-TV reports a fire that destroyed a home on the Mills Road was started by a boy who was burning a rope while making a dog leash. When he left the room, he set the rope down by combustibles that then caught fire.
Eleven people lived in the home that's considered a total loss. No one was injured in the blaze and no charges will be filed.