The State Fire Marshal's office says a fire that killed a mother and her three children was started by her 3-year-old son. The woman's sister discovered the fire when she returned from taking her son to the bus stop.
Investigators say 3-year-old Trenton Delisle set fire to items in the living room of the mobile home and it was the second fire he had set that morning. Earlier, a Bible had been set on fire inside the kitchen stove. His aunt, Amy Bouchard, who also lived in the home, extinguished that fire before taking her own son to the bus stop on Wednesday morning. When she returned to the mobile home, it was engulfed in flames. Bouchard ended up in the hospital with smoke inhalation after trying to enter the burning home and save her family.
Firefighters found the bodies of Trenton Delisle, his 2-year-old twin siblings Mason and Madison Delisle, and their mother, 28-year-old Norma Skidgel in the back bedroom. Investigators say there were no working smoke detectors inside. One was found but the battery had been removed. In addition, the rear door had been blocked by a large piece of Styrofoam, likely for insulation. Three of the victims has been autopsied by early afternoon and the State Medical Examiner's office said the cause of death was smoke inhalation.
State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said in a press release, "Juvenile firestarters are a huge problem in Maine and there are resources available throughout the state to counsel, educate, and treat children fascinated by fire. Parents and guardians can seek help by calling their local fire department or the State Fire Marshal's office in Augusta."