Look Who Is The 3rd Highest Paid Sox Player
Turns out there will be no salary arbitration fights between the Boston Red Sox and players this year. Not only did Mookie Betts and the team agree to a one-year deal, all 12 players eligible ended up with the deals.
Betts was the biggest deal at $20 million. But, Xander Bogaerts agreed to a $12 million and Jackie Bradley Jr got himself a nearly $9 million dollar deal.
• RHP Matt Barnes: $1.6 million
• RF Mookie Betts: $20 million
• SS Xander Bogaerts: $12 million
• CF Jackie Bradley Jr.: $8.55 million
• RHP Heath Hembree: $1.313 million
• INF Brock Holt: $3.575 million
• C Sandy Leon: $2.435 million
• LHP Eduardo Rodriguez: $4.33 million
• C Blake Swihart: $910,000
• RHP Tyler Thornburg: $1.75 million
• RHP Brandon Workman: $1.15 million
• RHP Steven Wright: $1.75 million
All of these deals brings the Sox payroll to $202,597,500 according to spotrac.com. But when you add in $23 million owed to Pablo Sandoval (3rd highest paid player on Sox), $11 million owed to minor league OF Rusney Castillo and $2,008,397 million owed to Manny Ramirez (yes, that Manny) the Sox payroll is just over $2225,000,000.
Sandoval is playing for the Giants on a minimum pay deal. The money the Sox are paying him after cutting him puts him behind only David Price and JD Martinez on the payroll.