Lare Gets Little League World Series Assignment
When the best Little League teams from around the world compete in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in August to compete for the Little League World Series, Bangor firefighter Troy Lare will be there calling balls and strikes.
Lare has been selected as one of the 16 umpires from around the world to work Little League's biggest event. Games are broadcast on ESPN and ABC.
He becomes just the fifth Mainer to umpire the Williamsport World Series. Harry Dalton (1964), Dave Adams (1998), Chris Parker (2009) and Bill Finley (2015).
Lare, Dalton and Parker are all from Maine's LL District #3 which covers teams from Caribou to Newport.
Lare is a longtime volunteer umpire and has worked in LL regionals and a Big League Division LL World Series in the past. He also umpires many high school and American Legion games each year.
NOTE: Another local volunteer umpire, Joey Ouellete from Brewer, has been selected to work at the Little League Intermediate Division 50/70 World Series in California this summer. Ouellette is an Old Town native who works Little League games as well as high school games.
2018 Little League Baseball World Series (South Williamsport, Pa.)
- Colin Campbell – Albuquerque, N.M. – Southwest
- Michael Debelak – Torrance, Calif. – West
- Jorge DeJesus Martinez-Quintero – Colombia – Latin America
- Ryan Gibson – Brownstown, Mich. – Central
- Danny Gill – Lake Wales, Fla. – Southeast
- Tim Hughes – Wurtsboro, N.Y. – East
- Wayne Kurtz – Coaldale, Alberta– Canada
- Troy Lare – Hermon, Maine – East
- Edward Moran, Jr. – Camden, Del. – East
- Gary Panozzo – San Antonio, Texas – Southwest
- Jeff Pruitt – East Bethel, Minn. – Central
- Shawn Simpson – Simi Valley, Calif. – West
- John Sivley – Bowling Green, Ky. – Central
- Mark Smith – Springfield, Va. – Southeast
- Tomoyuki Tada – Saitama, Japan – Asia-Pacific
- Kyle Wier – Beaumont, Texas – Southwest
2018 Intermediate League (50/70) Baseball World Series (Livermore, Calif.)
- David Byars – Plant City, Fla. – Southeast
- Ronald Coleman – Wellsville, N.Y. – East
- Samuel D. Griffith – Mission Viejo, Calif. – West
- Jim Hallonquist – Seguin, Texas – Southwest
- Jeremy Kautza – Waunakee, Wisc. – Central
- Brian Osbourne – Mannington, W.V. – Southeast
- Joe Ouellette – Brewer, Maine – East
- Paul Joseph Schneider – Carmichael, Calif. – West
- Juan Serrano-Alvarez – San Juan, Puerto Rico – Latin America
- Brian Stehr – Medicine Hat, Alberta – Canada
- Andy Stout – Montgomery, Texas – Southwest
- Fred Tempels – Winnweiler, Germany – Europe and Africa
- Jeff Wertz – Goshen, Ind. – Central