Theriault Wins ‘Most Popular’ Voting
Poetic justice perhaps. Fort Kent's Austin Theriault has been voted by racing fans as the NASCAR K & N Pro East 'Most Popular Driver'.
Theriault was 3rd in driver points after 11 races in the #1 car of Hattori Racing. That team made a decision to change drivers for the final three races and knocked Theriault out of a ride. He ended up 13th in points with seven top-10 finishes in the 11 races.
Theriault then raced in a couple of NASCAR Truck Series events as well as three NASCAR Xfinity Series faces. He is hoping to land a full time ride for next season.
Over 47,000 votes were cast online.
Elliot Sadler won the NASCAR Xfinity Series 'Most Popular' voting. Tyler Reddick won the NASCAR Truck Series popular vote. The Sprint Cup award will be announced at the champions banquet December 10th.
Winners from all divisions will be recognized on stage at the banquet.
The 2016 Most Popular Driver Award winners are:
*Austin Theriault (Fort Kent, Maine), NASCAR K&N Pro Series East*
• Salvatore Lovino (Los Angeles), NASCAR K&N Pro Series West
• Melissa Fifield (Wakefield, N.H.), NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
• Trey Hutchens (Lexington, N.C.), NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
• Jason Hathaway (St. Thomas, Ont.), NASCAR Pinty’s Series
• Alon Day (Ashdod, Israel), NASCAR Whelen Euro Series