An Injury To A Former Black Bear May End His Season
UMaine Athletics Headlines –
Maine’s Chloe Walton had both game-winning goals last weekend and yesterday was named the America East Field Hockey Offensive Player of the Week.
• Walton had a goal and two assists against Monmouth Friday
• She had the goal to put Maine ahead for good Sunday against Stanford
• 4 goals and 4 assists so far this year
• Maine is at Albany for another conference game Friday, then at BU Sunday
Maine women’s basketball had their first official practice of the preseason yesterday
• Black Bears open the season at Nebraska, Tuesday, November 9th here on the Ticket
• Maine has been in six straight conference championship games
The preseason Hockey East coaches poll has UMaine slotted 10th out of the 11 team conference.
• Maine only picked ahead of Vermont
• Defending National Champion UMass was the top choice in the league
o BU and BC were second and third
High School Sports Headlines –
According to a report in the Bangor Daily News the Class D State Football Championship game will be played at the newly turfed Cameron Stadium in Bangor.
• Cameron Stadium will have its first football game played there Friday night
• Last time a state title game was played at Cameron Stadium was in 1996
• Class D Final is Friday, November 19th
• Was scheduled to be at Alfond Stadium, moved to Bangor
o Women’s hockey and men’s basketball both had games scheduled on campus for the same night
NHL Headlines -
Former UMaine Black Bear Brady Keeper broke his leg in practice with the Vancouver Canucks Saturday after blocking a shot.
• Had to be stretchered off the ice Saturday
• Head Coach updated the media yesterday and said it was a “fractured leg” that required surgery
o Other reports have indicated he broke both the tibia and fibula
• Keeper signed a two-year, two-way contract this past summer
o Team hoping he could return in 4-to-5 months
• Has only played 2 career NHL games, both with the Florida Panthers, has played well in the AHL