Ellsworth’s Abby Radel Voted Week 6 High School Athlete of the Week
Congratulations to Ellsworth High School's Abby Radel who was voted Week 6 High School Athlete of the Week in another close vote! There were just under 8500 votes cast this week.
We had 11 strong nominees. They were
- Elyannah Briggs - Old Town Indoor Track - As a freshman Elyannah tied the New Balance Field House record in the High Jump with a jump of 5-02 on January 10th.
- Miles Burr - MDI Indoor Track - Set the Eastern Maine Indoor Track League and New Balance Field House record on January 11th in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.61. Also finished 1st in the Triple Jump with a jump of 43-01.50
- Charlie Collins - Hampden Academy Indoor Track - Came in 1st in the 400 meter Dash and 2 mile run on the the January 11th meet
- Lizzy Gruber - Gardiner Girls Basketball- Lizzy scored her 1000th point against Mount Ararat on January 14th and her 1000th rebound against Nokomis on January 10th. The Gardiner Girls Team is undefeated.
- Soren Hopkins-Goff - MDI Girls Basketball- Trailing by 1 with less than 10 seconds left Soren scored her only points of the game, hitting a jump-shot from the left side and then sinking 1-2 free throws to give the MDI Trojans a 52-50 win over Houlton.
- Gage Jones - Bangor Indoor Track - Came in 1st in the 55 meter Dash and 200 meter Dash on the January 10th meet
- Will Kusnierz - Dexter Boys Basketball - Will scored his 1000th career point and game high 37 points in Dexter's win over GSA on January 13th.
- Isaiah Morin - Nokomis Wrestling - Came in 1st in the 160 pound weight class at the Skowhegan Meet on January 14th.
- Abby Radel - Ellsworth Girls Basketball - Averaged 13.5 per game (2 games) while playing point guard for the Eagles in Ellsworth's wins over Mt. View and Bucksport
- Kadin Reed - MDI Boys Basketball - Averaged 21 points and had 6 3's in 1 game and 2 3's in another has the Trojans lost to Orono and beat Houlton
- Brady Saunders - Brewer Boys Basketball - In the January 12th game against Nokomis Brady had 27 points including 4 3's as the Witches remain undefeated.
Abby now joins Madelyn Deprey of Caribou the Week 5 High School Athlete of the Week and the previous winners, Raegan King of Nokomis, who was voted Week 4 High School Athlete of the Week, Cal Hodgdon of MDI, who was voted Week 3 High School Athlete of the Week, Camryn King of Nokomis who was voted Week 2 High School Athlete of the Week and Mollie Gray of MDI who was voted Week 1 High School Athlete of the Week
You can nominate someone for the Winter Week 7 High School Athlete of the Week by emailing HERE. Please put High School Athlete of the Week in the subject. Nominations for games January 15-21 need to be received by January 23rd. Then tell us why your nominee is deserving! Let us know specifics! How many goals did she/he score? How many points did she/he score? How fast did they run or throw in the indoor track meet? How fast did they swim in the swim meet? How did they do in the wrestling meet? We also want to know what school they go to! Please send them by Monday night!