MDI’s Tapley Voted High School Athlete of the Week [WEEK 4]
We'd like to congratulate Sierra Tapley of MDI High School for be chosen as this week's McDonald's High School Athlete of the Week!
Tapley, a senior, scored 45 points in two wins for the Trojans last week. Her 27-point performance was key in helping to beat Presque Isle and end the Wildcats' 64-game home winning streak. She followed that up with 18 points in a win over rival Ellsworth.
For those performances, voters rewarded her with about 60 percent of the vote,
Tapley bested Justin Thompson of Schenck High School and Nia Irving of Lawrence High School, both of whom also had impressive weeks on the hard court.
In two games last week, Thompson scored 26 points against Houlton and another 22 against Orono. He finished the week with 48 points, 12 assists and 13 rebounds.
Irving helped the Bulldogs knock off previously unbeaten Bangor with a dominating performance that led to a double-double. The junior center finished with 23 points and 17 rebounds helping Lawrence improve to 8-0 on the season.
Here are the final results:
You also may nominate someone for next week's McDonald's Athlete of the Week. Just follow the link below. Please get your nominations in before noon on Monday, Jan. 19.
Here are our winners so far this season:
- Week 3: Eric Hoogterp, Old Town High School
- Week 2: Kelsey Shaw, MDI High School
- Week 1: Kyle Bouchard, Houlton High School
Fall sports season:
- Week 11: Jonathan Santiago, Maine Central Institute
- Week 10: MacKenzie Carter, Ashland Community High School
- Week 9: Jackson Leonard, John Bapst Memorial High School
- Week 8: Alex Speed, Piscataquis Community High School
- Week 7: Alex Bertrand, Maine Central Institute
- Week 6: Cody Blair, Ashland Community High School
- Week 5: Noah Kershner, Nokomis High School
- Week 4: Katie Batron, Dexter High School
- Week 3: Gretchen Wright, Brewer High School
- Week 2: Jake Drew, Houlton High School
- Week 1: Dane Johnson, Bangor High School